You or your children will probably have hands covered with food coloring at some point in your life. Chances are, if you’re reading this… It has already happened ha-ha. We’ll you are in luck, due to this being a more common issue then you’d expect, we have two methods to remove it. The first one is to scrub and scrub… and scrub… and scrub… Or you can follow the method below. It is one of the quickest and safest. All you will have to know is that using gentle moves and soft towels is essential. Yes, it is simple as well.
You will need:
- Alcohol (optional)
- Wash your hands with soap. Always use warm water, because it will help you remove the food coloring even easier. This step is used to make coloring easier to remove with the next steps.
- Use toothpaste (non-gel) ones and rub it on your hands. If you have a toothpaste with baking soda, it would be even better. Besides, else you can add baking soda to the mixture. If the food coloring is dry, baking soda may not work! If that happens to you, use alcohol to remove the first layer of the coloring.
- Rub the toothpaste for 2-3 minutes in circular motions. If the toothpaste starts drying, wash it off with water and apply a fresh The goal here is to see the coloring start to fade. With each new layer, the coloring will fade more and more.
- Use a wet towel or cloth to remove food coloring as much as possible.
- This is an optional step. You can use a dry towel to remove the toothpaste, water, and food coloring if you are planning to repeat the procedure.
- Wash it with warm water and repeat the process, if needed.
Additional tips to consider
- If you want to know how to get food coloring off hands safely, remember that warm water must be used. It will help you soften the coloring and make them easier to remove. Using cold water isn’t effective, and you can damage the skin.
- For food coloring under fingernails, use a toothpick with toothpaste to remove it. It is also possible to cut down fingernails and use the method we have mentioned above.
- In a case food coloring is persistent, and your entire hands are colorful, take a warm bath. Moisture, fumes and longer exposure to hot water, in general, will make the color weaker. Then use the steps above.
- Food coloring stays on your hands between 25 and 36 hours. It is very long for some people so removing it as soon as possible is mandatory. If you are one of them, you can use shaving cream or clean peroxide to remove the coloring.